NEMAA Presents the 23rd Annual Art-A-Whirl
Presented by the Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA), Art-A-Whirl is an open studio tour in Northeast Minneapolis. It’s a great opportunity to tour private artist studios and galleries, connect with the artists, and purchase original artwork. Over the last 20+ years, it has become the largest open studio tour in the country. Art-A-Whirl takes place annually throughout Northeast Minneapolis, the third weekend of May. This event is free and open to the public.
2018 Dates and Hours:
Friday, May 18th – 5:00-10:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 19th – Noon-8:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 20th – Noon-5:00 p.m.
View artwork within more than 50 locations throughout Northeast Minneapolis, including studio buildings, art galleries, homes, storefronts, and local businesses. Plan your visit with NEMAA’s Artist Directory and Guide, which includes:
- Information about NEMAA artists and our supporting non-artist members
- Listings of artists sorted: alphabetically, by medium, and by Art-A-Whirl location
- A calendar listing of year-round art and studio events in NE Minneapolis
- An area map of Northeast Minneapolis including Art-A-Whirl locations, trolley route, parking and info booth locations, bike routes, dining establishments, and more
- A Dining Guide and Craft Brew/Spirits Guide to NE area food and beverage businesses.
Pick up your free copy of the Artist Directory and Guide at the information booths during Art-A-Whirl, or starting in April at the California Building, Casket Arts Building, Keg House Arts Building, Northrup King Building, or Thorp Building in Northeast Minneapolis.
See the work of more than 600 artists in more than 20 mediums including clay, furniture, glass, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and much more. The artists’ open studio tours may include demonstrations, mini workshops, installations, and special exhibitions. Studio tours offer a great opportunity to ask questions, discuss techniques, experience art first-hand, and purchase unique artwork directly from the artists.
Art-A-Whirl gives you a unique opportunity to meet the artists who make our community so vibrant, and invest in our art community by purchasing artwork that you connect with. Art-A-Whirl also offers you several ways of becoming more involved in the local arts community.
- Like Art-A-Whirl and NEMAA on Facebook
- Follow @NemaaMN on Twitter
- Follow @NemaaMN on Instagram, and tag us in your #ArtAWhirl photos!
- Use #ArtAWhirl to spread the word about your artwork, events, or experience as a visitor!
- Volunteer. Join us as a volunteer. You’ll have fun, make new friends and contribute to the success of Art-A-Whirl.
- Make a donation. Show that art matters to you, help support NEMAA’s mission, and keep Art-A-Whirl alive by making a cash donation today. NEMAA is a registered non-profit 501(c)3 organization, so your donation is tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
- Become a member. Help make the community more vibrant by joining NEMAA as a member. Membership levels include: Individual Artist, Community Friend, Professional Art Gallery, Non-profit Organization, and Business. Learn more about the benefits of membership, and join us today.
- Become a sponsor. NEMAA sponsorship allows you to connect with NEMAA members and our broad audience to increase your brand recognition, while supporting our mission and the largest open studio art tour in the country. Learn more about the benefits of becoming a sponsor and our sponsorship levels.
- Advertise with us. Reach more than 30,000 arts and culture lovers with an ad in NEMAA’s year-round Artist Directory and Guide. Annual deadline: January 31.
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from the Minnesota State Arts Board and the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.