For the 2019 biennial exhibition, NEMAA is pleased to share that the biennial artists will be selected through a new jury process that will center the ideas of artist practice, studio time, and one-on-one dialogue between artists and curators. Instead of a transactional, impersonal competitive jury process, the goal will be to provide a valuable experience for applicants in which the artist’s best work can be collaboratively selected.
The process will include online submission of work that best represent the artist’s current and/or previous body of work. These submissions are not necessarily the final work chosen for the biennial; it is an introduction to the artist, rather than a specific piece for consideration. Following a selection of semi-finalists from the online submissions, jurors will visit or meet with each semi-finalist artist to learn more about their practice and discuss a completed or in-progress work that can ultimately be included in the biennial. After studio visits (or review meetings set up to accommodate artists without studio space) the jurors will deliberate and collectively curate a selection of 20 artists to be included in the final biennial representing the most compelling and highest quality work in Minneapolis.
- Katie Garrett, MPLSART.COM
- Robyne Robinson, Principal, Allied AIA & NOMA. fiveXfive Public Art Consultants
- John Schuerman, Independent Curator
- Witt Siasoco, Artist
Cash Prize Breakdown
- Best in Show – $2,000
- Audience choice – $1,000
- Artist stipend (all artists included in the exhibit) – $450*
*due to the nature of this jury process new work may be created for the exhibition. To accommodate, every finalist accepted into the biennial will be awarded a participation stipend.
Anyone can apply to this exhibit. If you are selected to include work in the exhibit you must have renewed or signed up for your NEMAA membership for 2019 by January 24th, 2019.
Deadline: November 26th, 2018.
Timeline & Selection Process
Amount: 20 artists will be selected for the final exhibition.
- Entry Deadline: November 26th, 2018 11:59 PM
- Semi-Finalist Artist Notification: December 1st, 2018
- Semi-Finalist Studio Visits: December 3 – December 9, 2018
- Finalist jury selections, Artist Notification: December 19, 2018
- Delivery of final work for exhibit: January 21, 2019
- Payment of Prize money will be dispersed within two weeks of the closing of the show.
- Exhibit Location: Public Functionary 1400 12th Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
- Exhibit dates & hours: January 25th, 2019 – February 3th, 2019
- Opening Reception: Friday, January 25, 2019 / 7pm-11pm
- Artist Reception / Awards Ceremony, Thursday Jan 24, 2019 / 7pm
Another path to exhibit: SweetArt
The Northrup King Building will host the third biennial SweetArt show in conjunction with the Wintertide biennial exhibit. Works of art submitted to the Wintertide exhibit, but not selected for the final show, will have the opportunity to exhibit in the SweetArt show.
Dates of Exhibit: January 26th – February 7th
Attendees act as the jurors selecting their top 3 artist choices. The artists will be awarded cash prizes as follows.
- First Prize $600
- Second Prize $400
- Third Prize $200
Attending jurors have an opportunity to win one of four $50 Gift Certificates to a Northeast Minneapolis restaurant.