Vintage Victorian Red Rose – Takeaway Dinnerware – set of 4
What I find interesting about the rose motif is how we always have this special set of dinner ware, fine china etc., that is set aside for the gatherings of guests and family on special occasions, and it so often seems to have roses as the motif. It somehow seems to ask you to pay attention, to truly attend to the event at hand: this gathering of family and friends is significant, centered on the food and fruits of our labor, and represents the nourishment of our humanity, that all of our stories get told at the table.
Yet on the other side of this, is the much more common sight these days of TV dinners, rushed down, food on the go, disposable containers, the ready-made snack in a tidy little package with a compartment for six crackers and two cubes of cheese. In a sense this is the antithesis of the gathering to share who we are, what we dare to dream.
My idea with this series was to take the disposable containers of the ready-made and turn them on their heads: to make them in porcelain and decorate them with roses, as both a tongue-in cheek spoof, as well as a serious entreaty to ask us to slow down just a little and to attend to what matters. So it’s kind of a sly joke with a sweet plea tucked inside.
- Handmade and slip-cast with porcelain.
- Modeled after common disposable take-out containers and soup cans & decorated with fine china vintage rose decals.
- Large Dinner Plate Dimensions: 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 2 in. (21 x 21 x 5 cm)
- Small Salad Plate Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 1 3/4 in. (12 x 12 x 4.5 cm)
- Tall & Skinny Mug Dimensions: 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 4 3/4 in. (6.5 x 6.5 x 12 cm)
- Fat & Chubby Mug Dimensions: 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 4 in. (9 x 9 x 10 cm)
- Dishwasher & microwave safe
If you have a question about an order or a pickup, or about fulfillment options for an item, please contact the artist or gallery.
If you need help with this website or your customer account, or if you are an artist or gallery in need of support, please contact us.