2022 Mural Central
Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
Individual artists or teams of artists are invited to submit qualifications to be considered to participate in the design and installation of murals at specific locations along Central Ave NE. Mural Central is a collaboration between the Northeast Minneapolis Chamber, Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA), and Public Functionary to help define the Central Avenue corridor as a cultural district.
Artists or teams operating in the Twin Cities are welcome to apply, but should have a connection to the Northeast Minneapolis community. This should be addressed in the letter of interest.
A selection committee will review applications and select finalists. Finalists will be assigned a mural location. A $500 stipend will be provided for initial concept development for the assigned site. Artist and artist teams will meet with the property owners and discuss the submitted concepts. After a single round of revisions, if necessary, artists or artist teams will produce a complete design, and then schedule the mural installations. Half of the total compensation amount will be provided once the final design is complete and the remaining portion provided upon completion of the mural.
Mural compensation budgets range from $7,000 to $10,000, depending on complexity of the site. Mural sizes are roughly iterations of 16 ft x 8 ft.
Current Sites (additional sites TBD)
- Central Ave Liquor, 2538 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
- Sen Yai Sen Lek, 2422 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
- Football Pizza, 2339 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
Please submit the following via Mural Central’s Application form:
- Letter of Interest (max 2 pages) – Please include:
- A short bio for each lead artist, and if a team, a statement about the collective.
- Relevant prior work experience.
- Connection to Northeast Minneapolis and a statement of what you want to bring to Central Avenue. You do not need to pitch a design, just share your intentions.
- 5-8 Sample Artwork Images – please show relevant work samples. Mural or large-scale works preferred.
Application will close Monday, February 21, 2022, 11:59pm. No applications will be accepted after this time. Do not submit a project proposal or design at this time.
- January 18, 2022: RFQ opens.
- February 21, 2022: RFQ closes.
- Week of February 28, 2022: Selection committee reviews submissions.
- Week of March 7, 2022: Finalists notified and contracted.
- March 14—April 11: Mural sites assigned, schedule for mural installation determined.
- April 11, 2022: Mural design sketches due.
- April 11—May 15, 2022: Mural design revisions, mural designs finalized.
- Week of May 30, 2022: Deposit payments issued to artists.
- May 30— June 30, 2022: Mural installation and completion.
The Northeast Minneapolis Chamber is an advocate and resource for local businesses, non-profits, and the broader community. Together with organizational partners, we strive to create meaningful and thoughtful change that positively impacts the present and future of Northeast Minneapolis. mplschamber.com/chamber/#northeast
Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA) strengthens and supports our local artist community with resources, promotion, and fellowship. Centered in Northeast Minneapolis, we serve working artists both here and in geographically and artistically adjacent communities. NEMAA has over one thousand members, and is best known for producing Art-A-Whirl – the largest annual artist open studio tour in the nation. Our events make connecting with art and artists accessible to an ever-widening audience, both locally and beyond the Twin Cities. nemaa.org
Public Functionary (PF) is a platform that creates spaces and opportunities for culture producers, artists, and arts organizers to build autonomy and community. PF Studios is a program that cultivates BIPOC + marginalized artists’ presence and growth in the Northrup King Building, to build diverse communities of practice within the cultural economy of the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District. publicfunctionary.org